Re: How does Access 97 rate as a front end?

From: David Scavo <dscavo_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1998/12/28

Tim Romano <tim_at_ot.com> wrote:

>So, if your application is for "casual" ad hoc use with a smallish database (~
>50mb) then Access might well suffice. But if you have a commercial-quality
>client-server application in mind, then Access won't be suitable.

This thread has been very enlightening on whether to use Access as a development tool front-end to Oracle.

However, I would love to get some feedback as well on good query/reporting tools to use against Oracle. We currently have a Paradox 8 system running on a LAN and are looking to upsize to Oracle/DB2/etc. Our users all all over the board (some power users/some "average"), but need the capability to easily create reports, queries, and basic data entry forms like they currently do in Paradox. Some pieces of the system (or systems) will be custom-coded by the programming team in a yet-to-be-determined app development tool (keep those suggestions coming).

So far, Access, Paradox, Approach, FoxPro are the apps that come to mind, but I have not really begun my research in this area yet.

This space intentionally left blank
David Scavo dscavo_at_mindspring.com Received on Mon Dec 28 1998 - 00:00:00 CST