Re: Oracle 8.x (server backup)

From: Hannes Wenzel <hannes.wenzel_at_telekom.at>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 06:56:40 +0100

Shakeel Hye wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> I am new to Oracle, cause I have been using Sybase in the past. I need to
> know how do I backup the database I have is there a turn on/ off feature
> available in Oracle 8.x ? If not then how do I do that? In other words I
> need to automatically save a backup database while the server is being used.
>
> Please reply at shye_at_cpmsettle.com besides your reply on this newsgroup,
> thanx.......
>
> Shakeel

In Oracle 8.x, as in previous releases, you have two modes to run a database.

If running the database in NOARCHIVELOG mode (default), you have to turn off the database (dbshut), backup the filesystems or only the database files, an turn on the database (dbstart).

If running the database in ARCHIVELOG mode you can do hot backups (backup the database files while the database is open und users are working on it). You have to set each tablespace in backup mode before doing the backup (for example: alter tablespace system begin backup; - backup of the files for system tablespace - alter tablespace system end backup;)

Best regards,
Hannes Received on Mon Dec 28 1998 - 23:56:40 CST