Re: Oracle under Unix

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 21:21:25 +0100

Can't answer all of your questions, anyway here goes

1 IPC stands for InterProcess Communication. All Oracle processes (whether server or client) directly communicate with each other instead of using TCP/IP. IPC is implemented in Unix by means of semaphores, which can be shown (together with shared memory segments, another means of IPC) by the ipcs command

2 resident set size: this should be the same as what is called working set in VMS. Only part of the memory required by a process is held in physical memory. This is called the resident set. Pages are faulted in or faulted out on demand.
Zero-fill pages: in many OSes it is customary whenever a process requests a new page (ie not retrieved from an image on disk) to store data, this new page is completely zeroed out.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA