Re: Oracle 8 vs Sybase Adaptive Server

From: Steven Cruz <stevenc_at_istar.ca>
Date: 1998/12/27

Hello;

    Currently I am on a site that has over 20 transactions per second on the most hit table using Sybase. No problem with it at all. But to say which one is better is very hard. The internal workings of Sybase and Oracle are the exact opposite. Do you want internal or OS level threading? Sybase avoids OS calls when ever possible. It even talks directly to the disk controllers. With user level threading, this gives you the ability to have several engines, running different threads. More interesting is that you can have several threads for each query. You can set priorities on users, or applications. Then you can bind them to a engine. This lets you get the most out of your hard ware. Also, this avoid allot of context switches between processes.

    As for Oracle, I can not speak.

Steven Cruz