Re: Oracle on Linux - what is it looking up on DNS?

From: Richard Senior <see_sig_for_address_at_r-senior.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1998/12/27

In article <765k2k$7j0$1_at_ink.msen.com>,

        Mark Merritt <XXmerrittXX_at_mail.msen.com> writes:
> I had the same problem. When my PPP connection was active, the connections
> would happen very fast - when it wasn't, very slow. I installed a local
> caching only nameserver and that solved the problem.
>
> In comp.databases.oracle.server Jason Clifford <jason_at_ukpost.com> wrote:
>: On Sun, 27 Dec 1998, Richard Senior wrote:

>:> that whenever I connect to the database, either locally via svrmgrl or >:> sqlplus, or remotely via SQL*Net, something does a DNS lookup that  [snip...]

>: Sounds like you need to set up a small dns server on your gateway system.
>: Add records to cover your local systems (not forgetting to add PTR reverse
>: resolution records!) and then list your ISPs nameservers as forwarders.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I already have a local DNS on the gateway machine but it doesn't do any caching. I can see that caching the requests that are going to my ISP nameservers would do the job, and I'm going to try it, but I'm still baffled as to what the RDBMS might be looking for?

--
Regards,

Richard Senior
London, England

Mail: richard at r-senior spot demon spot co spot uk
WWW : http://www.r-senior.demon.co.uk/