Re: Oracle on Linux - what is it looking up on DNS?

From: Jason Clifford <jason_at_ukpost.com>
Date: 1998/12/27

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998, Richard Senior wrote:

> that whenever I connect to the database, either locally via svrmgrl or
> sqlplus, or remotely via SQL*Net, something does a DNS lookup that
> triggers Diald to pick up the phone and connect to the Internet.
>
> I know it is a DNS lookup because I have traced it through Diald. If I
> edit /etc/resolv.conf to comment out the nameservers outside my network,
> the DNS lookup fails and I get an immediate connection. If I disable
> Diald, the DNS lookup goes ahead and I get a connection after a timeout of
> 180s approx.

Sounds like you need to set up a small dns server on your gateway system. Add records to cover your local systems (not forgetting to add PTR reverse resolution records!) and then list your ISPs nameservers as forwarders.

See the DNS HOWTO.

Jason Clifford
Definite Linux Systems
http://definite.ukpost.com/ Received on Sun Dec 27 1998 - 00:00:00 CST