Oracle8 on Linux Installation Q

From: Larry Morley <lmorley_at_albany.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 1998 15:35:53 -0500

Hi - hoping someone can help me out here... When installing Oracle 8.0.5 Server on Linux, I've (apparently) got everything to work but the server manager (svrmgvl, as far as I can tell) won't allow CREATE DATABASE on an already mounted database. Since I'm trying to install on an existing Linux installation, I installed to /usr/oracle. The server mgr seems dead set on being able to mount/umount wherever it is that the database lives, though (the OFA stuff, I presume?).

First, is there any way to run the crdb* scripts without using OFA? I told the installer I didn't want to use it, but the scripts indicated they were going to create an OFA database.

Second, is there any way to create a mount point without creating a new partition under Linux? I don't have any unallocated space available, and would really rather not trash everything that's currently installed.

Oh yeah - it looks like all the utilities are installed under $ORACLE_HOME/bin. But the names are different than I'm used to seeing - svrmgrl instead of svrmgv30 (Oracle8 under NT) for example. Is this right, or am I looking in the wrong spot?

Thanks in advance,
Larry Morley Received on Sat Dec 26 1998 - 14:35:53 CST