Re: NUMA-Q+V7.3+different type CPU's:possible?

From: Ross Mohan <postmaster_at_127.0.0.1>
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 1998 23:01:13 -0500

Did this with an S5000 box ( at least one or two generations old in Sequent-ville ) with 4 166MHz procs and six 100Mhz procs. ( only diff in oracle wuz I was on 7.2.3, and I was using ptx 4.2.1 ( I think...)

PQO got *alot* better in 7.3....so you're in for a good ride, here.

Worked like a charm. PQO degree eight I wound up with. Absolutely stunning performance. So......

highly recommended. Go to town. Feel free to get in touch with me directly if you run into anything less than highly satisfying performance. I'd like to hear how it comes out for you.

Disk layout, btw, *absolutely critical*. Don't expect much if everything is crammed onto one or two disks, or under one controller, or not striped (i did 64kb stripe width, but that's another story..)

best of luck!

Ross Mohan
rmohan_at_ix.netcom.com

Nuno Souto wrote in message <3681e5ba.0_at_job.acay.com.au>...
>Hi all.
>
>With a NUMA-Q architecture, can we run different classes of CPU boards and
still
>use ORACLE V7.3 with parallel query effectively? Say, PentiumII-400 and
Pentium
>PRO-200?
>
>Seems to me this would be the rough equivalent of changing priorities on
>different ORACLE processes in a homogeneous CPU system, a practice that I
always
>heard was frowned upon.
>
>Has anyone been through this? Comments? Needs to be a heavily used system,
with
>lots and lots of parallel queries and multiple ORACLE instances. Just being
able
>to startup ORACLE in a system like this is not proof the thing is stable,
I'm