Re: Is the row updated since or while I am looking at it?

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: 1998/12/23

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, David Spaisman wrote:

> The question posed was: "How do I know if a row was updated since or
> while I am looking at it"?

Two approaches to this problem are typical:

It is generally felt that #2 is a better approach, because #1 allows big locking pileups to occur is a heavy OLTP envirenment. For instance, if an application has selected several other rows in other tables for update, but then has to wait on a lock, others may come along and have to wait on the rows that the first waiting session is holding. This has a cascading effect that results in big locking pileups. If the person at the top of the lock chain goes out for a smoke, a DBA has top come along and kill the blocking session off. This does not exactly promote "smooth operation."

--
Jeremiah Wilton      http://www.wolfenet.com/~jeremiah