Re: index help

From: Jeff Iverson <j5rson_at_frontiernet.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 03:05:23 GMT

Here are some books which may assist you:

Advanced Oracle Tuning and Administration (Oracle Series) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0078822416/iversonsoftwarecA

High-Performance Oracle Database Applications : Performance and Tuning Techniques for Getting the Most from Your Oracle Database http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1576101002/iversonsoftwarecA

Oracle Performance Tuning and Optimization http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/067230886X/iversonsoftwarecA

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998 09:38:42 -0700, "Matt Larson" <mattlarson_at_usa.net> wrote:

>I'm working with an application that needs help with indexing. Does anyone
>know of a good whitepaper or book that deals with indexing in Oracle? For
>example, we have some indexes that look like this.
>
>Table: col1, col2, col3, col4
>
>Index1: col1
>Index2: col1, col2
>
>It seems like the first index is not needed since all queries that would use
>the first index could also use the second index. Would it be correct to
>recommend eliminating all indexes that are subsets of another index
>(assuming they have the same leading columns)?
>
>I realize that indexes with the same columns that do not start out the same
>way cannot be eliminated. For example, if the same table had these two
>indexes. Neither index could necessarily be eliminated because the leading
>columns are not the same.
>
>Index3: col1, col2, col3
>Index4: col2, col3
>
>Please email answers to mattlarson_at_usa.net
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Matt

Kind Regards,
Jeff Iverson