Re: Looking for Sort/Merge Utility for NT

From: Stephen Tenberg <STenberg_at_fcs-usa.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 19:04:02 GMT

I have never had much use for the NT sort, as it is pretty brain dead for most practical uses. As I recall it only allows one key and sorts tiny files. Its really a sorry utility.

There are a couple good commercial packages out there if you need a powerful sort, but I can't recall the name of them.

If you just need basic sorting (i.e., multiple key sort merge using quicksort and the ability to sort large files using file merge), there are a couple "C" programs floating around the net that do that with a couple hundred lines of code.

Steve

Andrew Protasov wrote in message ...

>Hi,
>
>Did you try NT sort command?
>
>E:\SVIEWER1>sort /?
>Sorts input and writes results to the screen, a file, or another device.
>
>SORT [/R] [/+n] < [drive1:][path1]filename1 [> [drive2:][path2]filename2]
>[command |] SORT [/R] [/+n] [> [drive2:][path2]filename2]
>
> /R Reverses the sort order; that is, sorts Z to
A,
> then 9 to 0.
> /+n Sorts the file according to characters in
> column n.
> [drive1:][path1]filename1 Specifies a file to be sorted.
> [drive2:][path2]filename2 Specifies a file where the sorted input is to
be
> stored.
> command Specifies a command whose output is to be
sorted.