Re: svrmgrm linux

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 14:43:20 +0200

George Navas wrote in message <75pu3r$r98$1_at_news.bayarea.net>...

>I just installed oracle8 under linux and since I'm fairly new to this
>I was wondering if somebody can point me to the right direction.

Right? You're sitting down in front of your PC's monitor reading this, correct? Well right is that side:

------------------------------------------>

This side is left:

<------------------------------------------

(Advice is void when you turn your monitor on it's side, or upside down.)

>My beginner's book tells me that I should be able to invoke a full-screen
>service manager under X called svrmgrm. However, I can't seem
>to find it anywhere :( Am I missing something basic or is it called
>something else ?

Server Manager under the Unix I used to work with was called svrmgrl for the character or line mode version, or simply just svrmgr for the X version. Oh yes, they also included the version number at some stage as a suffix to the executable's name.

I just had a look on out Linux box and there's only the command line version installed. Could not find any references to the X-Win version anywhere in the HTML references, and neither is there any product listing for it in the installer. Can anyone confirm that the X version of server manager ships with Oracle 8? The X version of Server Manager was very primitive compared to Enterprise Manager. I don't think that Oracle will keep supporting an X version of it (if they have not already dropped it from v8).

A word of advice though. If you really want to learn how Oracle works, then stay away from these fancy administration GUIs. Rather use command line tools (sever manager and sqlplus) and write scripts to create a database and so on. It's not only a good way to learn, but invaluable if you want to be a DBA. Nothing better than to have your db create and maintain stuff scripted. Lots of flexibility, can save your butt when you need to re-create the db, and best of all - you actually -learn- the Oracle SQL commands.

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Dec 23 1998 - 06:43:20 CST