Re: Shutdown abort hangs

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 14:12:51 +0200

Terry Dykstra wrote in message <367fe1a7.0_at_news.cadvision.com>...
>I have one 7.3.4 database on my NT 4 server that occasionally refuses to
>shut down when I use a shutdown abort. It just sits there. There are no
>trace files, nothing in the alert log that shows any errors.
>My 7 other instances never give me this problem, so I assume the database
is
>somewhere corrupted. Any ideas on where to start looking for problems,
>corruption, ...?

Er.. do you do shutdown aborts often? This string of garlic around my neck does not bother you. Or DOES it!? ;-)

Is shutdown abort suppose to write anything to the log/trace/alert files? I recall that it simply "stops" other Oracle processes by beating them senseless and into a bloody pulp using a lead pipe. Or something like that. Not a good idea to use shutdown abort a lot. And it tends to leave the database looking like a teenager's room.

Also, there may be a comms (IPC) problem. If you run issue the shutdown abort, server manager sends a message to the db engine process. It in turn aborts the other processes. If something goes wrong there, well then you probably have server manager hanging on you waiting for a return from the db process, while the db process is also hanging waiting for a return from one of the other Oracle processes.

Rather follow The Way of The Gentle Oracle DBA and use a shutdown immediate. Me thinks. :-)

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Dec 23 1998 - 06:12:51 CST