Re: error ORA-03121

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 13:40:10 +0200

Sergey wrote in message <75of1f$j7j$1_at_news2.aha.ru>...
>I have installed Oracle 8 and Developer/2000 (Forms 4.5...!) on NT 4.0
>Server. When I try to connect, the error ORA-03121 is reported (wrong Net8
>setting).
>I can connect via plus80 (plus80 system/password @myinstance), but can't
>one via plus31.
> I have got only TCP/IP connection with database.
>What is it wrong?

According to 8.0.5 on Linux, the ora-03121 error says that "no interface driver connected - function not performed".

SQL*Net (or Net8) needs an interface driver or protocol driver (a piece of Oracle software) that sits between the protocol stack of the operating system and the "OCI library". It basically takes your Oracle instructions and package them into what ever protocol you've chosen and hand them over to the protocol stack for transmission.

So if you're running TCP/IP, you will need to have Oracle's TCP interface (or protocol) driver installed.

The fact that you say you can connect with some Oracle tools and not others, suggest some kind of version problem. For example, can SQL*Plus 2.2 (or whatever) work with Net8? I try very hard not to make it a habit of mixing different versions of the same product and have been lucky so far. Maybe someone else can clarify the version requirements when running multiple Oracle client versions on Net8.

Another thing to remember is that the TNS_HOME (or is that TNS_ADMIN?) default differs between 7.x ($ORACLE_HOME/network/admin) and 8.x ($ORACLE_HOME/net8/admin). So if you do not have the TNS_ADMIN/TNS_HOME/whatever (can never remember which) set in the o/s environment, 7.x software will not find the tnsnames.ora file for Net8.

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Dec 23 1998 - 05:40:10 CST