Re: control file ...

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 16:40:35 -0800

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, TurkBear wrote:

> If this is a production database, your option may be to resign...(sorry)
>
> If, in the past, you have issued a 'backup controlfile to trace' command, then
> you can recreate the file from the one in your trace directory( maybe)
> otherwise, I think you may be out of options....

Don't you think that's a bit severe? If you know where all the files for this database live, it should just be a matter of a "create controlfile reuse database..." command. You have to point it at the first SYSTEM datafile, tell it where to put the redologs, and that's about it.

Example from the Oracle SQL Reference:

SVRMGR> startup nomount

CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE
DATABASE orders_2
LOGFILE GROUP 1 ('diskb:log1.log', 'diskc:log1.log') SIZE 50K, GROUP 2 ('diskb:log2.log', 'diskc:log2.log') SIZE 50K NORESETLOGS
DATAFILE 'diska:dbone.dat' SIZE 2M
MAXLOGFILES 5
MAXLOGHISTORY 100
MAXDATAFILES 10