Re: MULTIPLE ORACLE HOMES

From: Gerry Sinkiewicz <sinkiege_at_tiac.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 98 00:04:08 GMT

This answer was given by someone else to a similar queestion. Invariably it is necessary to have more than one version of Oracle etc. around at the same time. The answer was to set up different directories.

Say everything in on a big raid-5 22GB disk-array with drive letter D:, then

D:\ora804 is one ORACLE_HOME (environment variable).
D:\ora805 is another ORACLE_HOME
D:\oradev60 might be another ORACLE_TOOLS (env variable).

Now I admit to just start using Oracle on Windows NT (we are mostly a Solaris shop), but the idea seemed good and tomorrow we will begin to follow this very example on a new NT server on which we plan to set up our first non-unix instance. The down side is that a lot of disk may be used.