Re: Redo log transfer & data file creation ?

From: John P. Higgins <jh33378_at_deere.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 17:42:17 -0600

The Server Administrator's Guide specifies that the log contains the info
to update the control file that the new datafile should exist. The file
is NOT created. If the file cannot be found, the recovery stops until it
is created.

So, you need update your procedure so that you add a file the your DRP site whenever you add a file to your primary site.

The Server Administrator's Guide also points out several other operations that do not transfer from the primary site to the DRP site.

By the way, I had an experience some time back where I added a datafile during the week, with a weekly backup. Can you believe: a disk crash on the new file before the backup! I lucked out, Oracle had not yet stored any extents into this file, so I could drop it with no lost data. Now, I create a hot backup of a newly added data file ASAP.

Christopher Forbes wrote:

Hi

I would like to find out if when you add a new datafile to a database are
the changes supposed to be written to the redo logs?  We have the problem
that we have a DRP instance that is kept current by copying the production
systems redo logs and control files to the DRP instance and then playing
back the redo logs but have found that creation of datafiles is not brought
over.

Configuration:
Oracle Version: 7.3.2
HP-UX 10.20