Re: One Ora SID vs. Many ORA SID's

From: Dave Klinger <dklinger_at_bechtel.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 17:55:15 GMT

There are pros and cons about each. With multiple instances you have to realize you are probably going to require more memory resources due to having multiple SGA's. How much depends on the size of the SGA's you create for each instance. This is particularly a problem if your server is short on memory. On the flip side, multiple instances do allow you to tune the instances with more granularity. If one instance is read only, its requirements are different from an OLTP instance. It also makes things a bit easier if you need to shut down one of the databases for maintenance, the others would be unaffected. I can't say there is an easy answer to this. You have to take a serious look at your resources and needs.

Dave