Re: TABLE recovery

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:45:39 -0800

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 satar_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Actually, even if the database was in ARCHIVELOG mode, sanjay (forgive me if
> it is not your name) wouldn't be able to recover just the table. In this
> particular situation, he/she has two choices: 1. Recreate the table and
> manually enter in all the info. 2. Recover the entire database back to some
> point in time prior to this user error, using his/her last valid cold backup.

Commonly when oopses like this happen, people restore a mini-copy of their backup (the tablespace with the dropped table, the rollbacks, and the system tablespace), roll it forward to the point in time just prior to the table being dropped, export the table, and import it into the production database.

This, of course, requires that the database be in archivelog mode, and a good backup be available from which to restore the mini-copy. The trick is to set things up such that oopses like this never happen.

--
Jeremiah Wilton http://www.wolfenet.com/~jeremiah