Plain text passwd

From: Uwe Schneider <pi_at_nospam.richard-schneider.de>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 23:11:56 +0100

Hi Oracle experts,

we are using a lot of perl scripts in a large web sharing project relying on Oracle 7.33/Solaris2.6 and Apache 1.3/Solaris 2.6.

Unfortunately it is almost unavoidable that the customers are able to telnet to our web servers since they need to hand-taylor their websites by interactive means.

If they are able to read the source of the CGI and batch scripts in perl (what we are tryinig to avoid), the privacy of our database is lost.

What are the alternatives to storing plain text Oracle passwords (and transferring them over the net) in the scripts?

Any tips will be apologized!!!

Uwe

--

Uwe Schneider       | Telefon +49 7251 / 82587
Karlsdorfer Str. 31 | Mail    pi_at_richard-schneider.de

Linux - OS al dente! Received on Mon Dec 21 1998 - 16:11:56 CST