Migrating Oracle 7.3.3 to Oracle 8.0.4

From: Sanjay Hans <sanhans_at_mbox5.singnet.com.sg>
Date: 19 Dec 1998 09:36:08 GMT

I am planning to do the migration from Oracle 7.3.3 on DEC unix to Oracle 8.0.4 on NT 4.0. I will be taking full export backup as 'system' user from oracle 7.3.3 and import it into oracle 8.0.4 after creating the required tablespaces/rollback segments.

I am not sure for taking the full export backup from oracle 7.3.3, whether I should set the parameter COMPRESS=Y or N. We are using the Oracle database as a datawarehouse. I have found that for some tables in Oracle 7.3.3 the initial extent is around 76 MB and next extent is around 70 MB, if I use the option COMPRESS=Y, it results in the initial extent size of around 320 MB for these tables. What is the implication of this parameter? Whether I should use COMPRESS=Y or N for doing the migration.

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions Received on Sat Dec 19 1998 - 03:36:08 CST