Re: can't use dbv

From: Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Date: 1998/12/18

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998 19:58:35 GMT, steve_young_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:

>I am trying to use the dbv command in unix to check 1 of my datafiles. I got
>a very simple error and can't figure what happen!
>
>% dbv file=/directory/user.ora
>DBV-00100: Specified FILE (/directory/user.ora) not accessible
>
>The file location is correct and I am sure I have the privilege under the
>directory and the file. I also put the tablespace 'user' offline before I do
>the dbv command. Anyone can tell me what happen?

Are you sure you spelled the name of your file correctly. When named file does not exist dbv returns the error you are getting.

If this is not the case, then dbv can't perform checking on open database on the platform you are using. On some platforms dbv can work on files belonging to the database that is currently mounted and open, while on some others platforms the database should be closed if you want to perform dbv checking on its files. Remember that in this case it is not sufficient to simply put datafile or the tablespace offline, you must close *the whole database*.

Although I'm a bit surprised that you can't perform dbv on opened database - you mentioned you are using UNIX and I remember I 've had no problems performing dbv on online files belonging to the opened database on both HP-UX and AIX. What flavor of unix you are using and what is your Oracle release?

>Thanks!!
>
>Steve

HTH, Jurij Modic <jmodic_at_src.si>
Certified Oracle7 DBA (OCP)

The above opinions are mine and do not represent any official standpoints of my employer Received on Fri Dec 18 1998 - 00:00:00 CST