Re: Help on newbie admin

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 19 Dec 1998 01:38:44 GMT

On 16 Dec 1998 16:35:35 GMT, Ryan Richards <rrichard_at_gibson.ns.ionet.net> wrote:

>#1 Do you normally use a seperate tablespace for each project or clump them all in one tablespace? (or does that change depending on the circumstances)

This depends. Generally I organize things by project, but some projects get more tablespaces than others. We have a bug-tracking system that I put into a tablespace by itself. For other projects, where the transaction rate is higher, I tend to split indexes into one tablespace, tables into another. Then I place those tablespaces on separate disks. In a very few cases, where we have tables that grow very large, I place those tables in their own tablespaces.

>#2 How do you know how big to make the tablespace? Do you aim low and add space as you need it? Whats agood starting point?

I make a rough calculation based on the number of rows, and on how much data I expect each row to contain. I'm not too scientific about this. I don't waste a lot of time trying to account for every last byte. I will add some cushion to that figure, and then create the tablespace.

regards,

Jonathan Received on Fri Dec 18 1998 - 19:38:44 CST