Re: System calls and asynchronized stored procedures?

From: Jonathan Gennick <gennick_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 19 Dec 1998 01:38:42 GMT

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 08:33:17 GMT, jListes_at_hotmail.com wrote:

>- Launch asynchronized stored procedures (executing in the background)?

You can do this using the DBMS_JOBS package. I believe it's documented in the Server Administrator's Guide.

>- Make system calls (call a Shell script, copy files, send mails) from a
>stored procedure?

Not sure about this. I believe that in some implementations (Windows NT?) you can call functions in an external library, such as a DLL. Assuming that you can do that, then you coulld have the DLL invoke an O/S script. There may be better ways to approach this though.

Jonathan Received on Fri Dec 18 1998 - 19:38:42 CST