Cold/hot backup scripts for Oracle 8 on NT

From: David Spaisman <david.spaisman_at_compaq.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 18:31:13 GMT

Today, however, I was told in an off-the-cuff manner I need to have an application in production in the first week of January on Oracle 8 on NT. My experience to date has been with unix and using the unix script(originally Oracle and modified to meet our environment). I have no experience with NT backup and recovery.

Does anyone use RMAN(Recovery Manager)on your small NT applications. If so, how is it? If not, what to do you use for backups? Do you have a script for cold/hot backups with the shutdown/startup etc to run on NT for Oracle 8? Does the script include redo logs and archiving of these logs?

Any ideas where I can get one. Initially I'll use export/import but this won't do for a new application in production.

From what I hear -- and including the instructor in a backup and recovery class --most people feel RMAN is not worth the effort. There seemed to be an awful lot of administration for RMAN.

Thanks for any information you can provide..

DAvid Spaisman Received on Fri Dec 18 1998 - 12:31:13 CST