Re: Oracle on unix or NT

From: Stephen Tenberg <STenberg_at_fcs-usa.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 15:58:40 GMT

I have heard many say this before, but in my experience I have had no more difficulty remote managing Oracle (NT itself) through RAS.

I have a telnet server running on NT (yes, I know it doesn't come with NT but it probably will soon and they are available in the resource kit and elsewhere, but I rarely, if ever use it.

Same with PC-Anywhere, its installed but rarely used.

Mostly the GUI utilities (for example Oracle Enterprise Manager including the command line tools or NT Event Viewer) work just fine remotely, and the resource kit includes a couple extra things - remote shutdown of services or OS, for example.

Of course it is absurd that Microsoft makes you fish around and find all these things to turn NT into a real server.

The truth of the matter is that I prefer NT because of the richness of the development environment, and the tons of new stuff coming out every day for it. Unfortunately, unlike Oracle, you just can't get every new product in Unix.

Also some of the PC hardware makes up for what lacks in NT. The dirt cheap Intel Nightshade Dual P450 chassis, for example, has a serial remote console integrated into the motherboard.

Regards,

Steve