Connecting Verity & Oracle using External Stored Procedures

From: Stefan Arentz <stefan.arentz_at_soze.com>
Date: 18 Dec 1998 11:28:13 +0100

Hi Oracle Gurus,

We are using both Oracle and Verity in a large document retrieval system. Fulltext searches are done in Verity and meta information about the documents is stored in an Oracle8 database.

We want to have one place to store the meta information, so storing it in the Verity collections is not an option.

Now we would like to combine fulltext queries with queries on the meta information. Currently we do this by combining two result sets after querying both Verity and Oracle, but that has a big performance bottleneck.

We are familiar with both OCI and the Verity API so my first respons was to write an external stored procedure to query verity and let it return a set of document keys which can then be combined in an Oracle query. But I've scanned the documentation and it doesn't look like an external procedure can return a result set (i mean multiple rows or an array).

Does anybody here have a similar situation or encountered a problem like this before?

Thanx in advance,

  Stefan Arentz

--
stefan.arentz@soze.com / http://www.soze.com/stefan Received on Fri Dec 18 1998 - 04:28:13 CST