Re: Oracle on unix or NT

From: <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 06:52:46 GMT

khan_at_informatik.fh-hamburg.de wrote:
> I think, this is a good way he/she did it. If you are familiar, for
> example, to fly a Boeing 737, would you then, if you have to fly
> suddently a bigger one, take an airbus ?? You would take the boeing
> 747, i guess. No, nobody, who has a healthy mind wouldn't stay with
> the system he/she is familiar with and expert in, rather to be a novice
> with a bif DB and a really ugly OS.

WRONG! How can you say that? Using your analagy, it's is NOT the pilot's decision as to what aircraft should be upgraded/downscaled to. It's is a BUSINESS DECISION. Why choose a 747 just simply because you can fly 737's, when an EMB-120 can do the same job better, as fast, and less expensively.

The decision whether to use NT or Unix can not be a sound one, if that is solely based on a personal opinion of: I-know-Unix-and-not-NT-therefore-NT- sucks-and-is-not-an-option-and-we-must-use-Unix-again.

I really FAIL to see ANY logic behind this. A decision on what operating system to use is NOT and should NEVER be a PERSONAL decision. Such a decision is also not only just about technical issues, but MUST also include business issues. Back to your analagy again.

Why purchase a 747 when the business can ill afford highly trained and expensive maintenance engineers? What good will a grounded 747 be to the business (or even the dumb pilot with his stupid decisions based on ignorance)? You need that 747 in the air. Thus, if the business constraints dictates that you need to use an easy to maintain aircraft, then you get yourself one that meets (to the best possible extent) BOTH technical AND business requirements.

> So, the decision Mr. Verreynne made is really realistic and sophisticated,

Er.. I'm the "Mr Verreynne". You are refering too the "pilot" who asked this newsgroup to justify his "I choose Unix" decision, simply because he's ignorant about NT.

> And besides that, everybody knows that Unix is much more better scalable and
> easier to manage, so he made as well the right decission.

Scaleable. I agree with that. As for easier to manager - you are treading thin ice with that opinion. Opinions aside (mine including). BUT is this the REQUIREMENTS or not? Back to your analagy again. Why on earth choose a 747 when you want to haul garbage in the bush? If you do not need to haul pax, why choose an enormous passenger plane when a DC-3 can do the job better.

So the question should always be - WHAT IS THE REQUIREMENTS. And after you looked at these requirements then you decide on how to address them. Selecting an operating system (or database for that matter), simply because in your opinion it's the best thing since glow-in-the-night condoms is <trying hard not to be rude here> ...er.. shows a lack of understanding the basic principle of information system technology.

> Oracle plans to take the whole OS away, so there is only a kernel of an OS.
> Then there is no need to discuss an OS at all.

But that does not mean throwing our brains away and not using them either... :-)

regards,
Billy