Re: Partitioned table usage question

From: MotoX <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 20:53:36 GMT

Yes, but you are talking just for the case where you have 'star transformation' enabled, right? I.e., not just Oracle's normal 'star query' detection, which is of more use for 'normal' style star queries. It's my understanding that if you have sparse fact tables and wide dimensions, only then will you benefit from star *transformations*, which I believe defaults to 'off'.

We have many tables in our datawarehouses containing 100's of millions of rows, and we've found the partitioning of them in Ora8 a godsend. Our testing showed enabling star *transformations* (i.e. *not* just star query processing, which is 'on' by default) actually made things worse, as did forced 'star' hinting. We've found you have to have a pretty good reason to override the optimiser in 8.0.5, because if your dw model is solid, it normally does a good job.

Just my take.

MotoX.