Oracle8 Object features and table modifications

From: <nbrown_at_epnet.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 20:20:14 GMT

We use Oracle 7.3.3 and are considering when to upgrade to Oracle 8.05. In light of that, I have the following 2 questions:

In order to take advantage of this 'object' technology within Oracle8, do existing Oracle 7.3 tables structures need to be enhanced to include the
'pointer' columns. Am I correct in assuming that merely going through the
migration process to Oracle8 does not mean that I can take advantage of all the cool 'object' stuff (aggregate data types, nested user-defined data types, pointers etc)? My understanding is that some database
're-design/enhancement' work needs to be done to get those benefits
(true/false?).

Also, much is written about the Oracle8 optimized queries - again, is this something that we will automatically take advantage of as a result of the migration, or is some tweaking required. I have in mind several PL/SQL packages that our existing Oracle 7.3.3 application utilizes, and I am wondering if we can expect these to take advantage of the new bitmap query technology right off the bat, or will they need to be tinkered with in some way?

Any feedback on these questions would be appreciated. Thanks a lot...

Nathaniel