ask for help

From: Sheng Juexin <sjx_at_peon.rightiming.com>
Date: 17 Dec 1998 17:13:15 GMT

Hi, how are you!

   I want to use oracle through apache. Some one has suggest me 2 ways to do.  1--PHP, 2--DBI/DBD.
But I have some troubles to install oracle and perl-DBI-DBD. Whould you please help me ?

My questions are:

  1. PHP I have download apache_1.3.3 and PHP3.0.5 and installed them. But accord to php's "INSTALL", it use mysql database. There many functions in PHP which are used to deal mysql database. I want to use oracle. Can PHP use oracle database? If can, how to use option switch when compiler PHP? Are there any special requirements with oracle software, for example any additional module?
  2. DBI/DBD I want to use DBD/DBI to access oracle. Are there any special requirements for orcale software. I must install what additonal orcale software? Does my understanding below is OK?
       perl call DBI, DBI call DBD, DBD use oracle through sql?
              perl --> DBI --> DBD --> oracle

3. Use what software to manage oracle. Use "svrmgrl"?

   I have printed out four manuals in oracle web site, include <<oracle server    Administrator's Guide>>. I want to set up a password file and add some new    users. It tells me to modify initial parameter REMOTE_LOGIN_PASSWORDFILE    to EXCLUSIVE, but I can not find the initial parameter file. Where is it?

Thank you again.

Sheng Juexin

Sheng Juexin wrote:

> I want to access oracle8 database through apache Web interface. Does oracle8
> and Apache Web server support it now? If yes, how to get these software?
> Thank you.

I know of 2 ways to access Oracle 8 via apache, and have tested both of them on Linux 2.0 and 2.1 systems.

PHP http://www.php.net - php is a handy server side html scripting language - it's what microsoft's so called "active server pages" would like to be. There is full documentation on the site, but compilation is fairly straightforward.

Perl:DBI

Look for it in CPAN -
DBI version 1.02 and DBD:Oracle version 0.54 work just fine for me under Linux, and I would expect it to work as well under e.g. Solaris or other Unices. Received on Thu Dec 17 1998 - 11:13:15 CST