5500 inserts/sec possible on 7.3.4?

From: Billy Newport <billynewport_at_iname.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 17:13:49 +0100

I'm currently trying to build a server which can store 5500 rows per second. Its purpose is solely to check for duplicate records. All the data in the table is part of the primary key. The table will be partitioned 14 ways based on the most significant field DAYNUM

CREATE TABLE UTXDATA (
 DAYNUM CHAR(1) NOT NULL ,
 STARTTIME NUMBER(6) NOT NULL,
 DURATION NUMBER(6) NOT NULL,
 PRODUCTCODE CHAR(2) NOT NULL,
 DETAILS CHAR(30) NOT NULL,
 PRIMARY KEY (DAYNUM, STARTTIME, DETAILS, DURATION, PRODUCTCODE)) ORGANIZATION INDEX Basically, I need to insert 11,000,000 records per day and keep them online for 14 days. I drop the "oldest" partition each day and then store the days records in the now empty parition. The system continues for-ever round robin like this. If the insert fails then I know there is a duplicate and tag the data for reporting later, this happens 0.01% of the time. I'm using an 8 CPU RS6000 with 2GB RAM and 8 9GB SSA disks for my test system (its what was available quickly!). There will be another machine heavily threaded inserting the rows to the database.

I'm planning on stripping the disks for storing the table data. I think the biggest problems will be the redo and rollback writing. I wondering how best to split the 8 disks (these disks are used only for data, the OS and oracle are located on another disk) up in terms of strip/not strip, how large the strips are for redo, rollback or data etc. The usual.

Does anyone have any suggestions for tuning such a beast or for instance parameters. The only thing the box will be doing is this. Think of it as the ultimate insert operation box.

Any help apprec.
Billy Received on Thu Dec 17 1998 - 10:13:49 CST