Re: Oracle on a webserver

From: Piotr Kolodziej <pkol_at_otago.gda.pl>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 16:48:00 +0100

khan_at_informatik.fh-hamburg.de wrote in message <367902B2.85986A3C_at_informatik.fh-hamburg.de>...
>>But don't expect that code transformed with FX!32 is as good as from
>>alpha dedicated compiler compiling similiar source code.
>Mr. Kolodziej, no i don't expect this as i stated in my mail

But you have written about usatisfying performance of applications running with FX!32 and have compared it to performance achieved on much slower intel-based
hardware. It was used as a statement against NT running on Alpha. IMHO that statement is simply not applicable. OK. I'm not NT advocate and I agree that running NT on Alpha is usually the money
wasting because unices give much better performance and possibilities.

>I have experiences with NT on Alpha, Linux on Alpha and Digital Unix on
Alpha.
>IMO experiences are sometimes better than opinions.

Opinions I meant, were based on experiences while running native Alpha NT applications. Performance grew up, but in fact, the performance/price got much worse.
I think it is the time finish this thread. Almost every unix wins the competition with NT running the same services on comparable hardware. This is true on Intel, that is true on Alpha, where we have true 64bit unices.

Regards,
--
Piotr Kolodziej pkol_at_otago.gda.pl
Just my private opinion. Received on Thu Dec 17 1998 - 09:48:00 CST