Re: Oracle on a webserver

From: <khan_at_informatik.fh-hamburg.de>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 16:36:11 +0100

Piotr Kolodziej wrote:

> Just another thing...
>
> R.A. Khan wrote in message <367118D2.9A730DA0_at_informatik.fh-hamburg.de>...
> > From my experiences on an 433Mhz Alpha the Applications i
> > ran with FX!32 were as fast as on a 200Mhz Intel [snip]
>
> Don't expect high performance while using emulator. To compare it
> you should use Alpha ports of Oracle tools and database on Alpha NT.
>
> Piotr Kolodziej

You are right.
But FX!32 isn't an emulator. When FX!32 is starting an application, it is transforming Intel code. In the first step, it emulates some programm parts, but while it runs, it transforms the application an produces native alpha code. And when the programm pointer comes the next time along his way, he is executing native alpha code !

Thought this is never as fast as native applications on alpha, but real-world experiences show as well, that NT is horrible slow on alpha, even it is in native code, due to the fact, that it is a 32bit OS.

regards, and excuse my broken english

--
Ronald Ali-Khan
khan_at_informatik.fh-hamburg.de