Q: How to shutdown an instances on Windows NT

From: Srinivasa R. Medam <msr_at_one.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 23:29:13 -0500

Hi guys,
I need help in the following situation. Scenario:

    On Windows NT Server 3 instances are running.     One: 'dev' running oracle7
    Two: 'test' running oracle7
    Three: 'test8' running oracle8.

What I need to do is shutdown instances 'test' and 'test8' and leaving 'dev' instance running.

When I open instance manager, I see the above three instances. I could delete the instances from the Instance Manager, but that I will loose all the datafiles, etc. All I want to do shut-down the 'test' and 'test8' instances.
I see them in the NT administation menu, in Services list.

I tried connecting thru svrmgr23.exe in Orant/bin as internal/sys for the test and test8 instances, I was not successful. I could not set instance in svrmgr to test or test8 instances. The errors I was getting was:

    ORA-01034: Oracle Not Available.
    ORA-09243: smsget: Error attaching to SGA
    OSD-04104: Invalid SGA: SGA not initialized.

But when I see 'Instance Manager' window. I see the above three instances.
For instance 'dev' it is automatic mode. In the details it both instances
and services check-boxed are ON (i.e. checked). And they are in grayed-out.
When I see 'test' or 'test8' instances details, both services are checked, but
not the instances check box. There is no way I could make these boxes enabled.

Could someone help what is happening.

My questions are how do I know which instances are running. How do I set the instances in the server managerline mode. I appreciate your help and time.

Thanks so much in advance

Srinivasa Medam Received on Tue Dec 15 1998 - 22:29:13 CST