Q: allow remote access to only one table in entire DB

From: Gary Assa <gsa_at_panix.com>
Date: 15 Dec 1998 16:09:58 GMT

I want to allow a remote user access to only a single object (table or synonym) in our database.

This user was given the connect string to our database to be able to view this one table.

However, I don't want them to be able to see anything else, including the public tables and synonyms. I don't want them to be able to see ALL_TABLES, so that they can see what tables are in our database, and then be able to select to see what's in them.

I don't want to go through the whole process of revoking public privs from every object that has public, and then granting to every user except this one user.

I have tried revoking create session from the user that their connect string connect to, which works almost perfectly, with the exception that they can still select from ALL_TABLES and see the names of our public tables and then select from them. It doesn't allow them to connect to our database, which is the main goal.

Is there any way around this?

Bottom line: Give a remote user who has a connect string, access to only one object.
--

If you have a condom and sunscreen SPF 15 or greater, than it's safe to look at
                     http://www.panix.com/~gsa/index.html