Emulate sequential access in Oracle8

From: Greg Drew <gdrew_at_computer.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:39:53 -0500

I have a need to emulate sequential (and sorted) access to an Oracle8 database as part of a system upgrade I am involved in. The system displays records, sorted on name, in chunks of 10, with options to go to the previous or next chunks. I have been able to do this, but only by creating a separate table in which pointers to the records are stored in sorted order with a record number assigned. Unfortunatly, this requires that the entire sorted_order table be rebuilt every time the (mostly static) database changes. Yuck! There has to be a better way. Any suggestions? --GDD Received on Tue Dec 15 1998 - 09:39:53 CST