Defining an input file in a PL/SQL program

From: Maria G <mgemmi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 01:37:40 GMT

I am looking for a way to define an input file in a PL/SQL program.

I was able to code a PL/SQL program to read a record from a file and write this record to a file using the UTL_FILE package. The problem I'm having isI would like to make the program a little more intelligent and process the input record based on different fields within the record (i.e. employees last name -- positions 20 to 50; employees first name -- positions 51 to 61, etc.). Is there any way within PL/SQL to define the record layout of the input file? The documentation I've found only shows how to read an entire line of data from the file into the line buffer using the GET_LINE procedure. It doesn't show how to redefine this entire line of data into individual fields based on the positioning of the data (i.e. employees last name -- positions 20 to 50; employees first name -- positions 51 to 61, etc.).

Thanks for your help!! Received on Mon Dec 14 1998 - 19:37:40 CST