Re: resize datafile

From: <satar_at_my-dejanews.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 22:23:48 GMT

Hi Steve,

First, make sure that you set your compatible parameter in the init<sid>.ora to 7.2 or higher. (You must have version 7.2 or higher). Also, don't forget to shutdown and restart the database to have this parameter take affect.

  1. No, you do not need to shut down the server or dismount anything. Actually, the only way to do this is when the database is up. 2. If you specify 1GB and data resides beyond that 1GB cut off point, Oracle will return an error. It will not corrupt your data. I have done this many times on a Sun box and had no problems. I heard that there are problems on NT servers in regards to this, but I cannot validate those claims.

Here is an example of me trying to make a database file smaller than possible:

SVRMGR> alter database datafile '/oracle/backup/system01.dbf' resize 1m; alter database datafile '/oracle/backup/system01.dbf' resize 1m *
ORA-03297: file contains 4172 blocks of data beyond requested RESIZE value SVRMGR> Good Luck,
Satar

In article <753tk9$j72$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   steve_young_at_my-dejanews.com wrote:
> If I want to resize a datafile, do I need to shutdown the server or dismount
> the instance? If I reduce the size of a datafile from 2GB to 1GB but the
> datafile currently have more than 1GB data, will it be possible or will it
> damage the data?
>
> thanx.
>
> Steve

Oracle DBA/UNIX System Admin