Re: Changing Oracle SID

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_safeaccess.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 15:04:24 GMT

Yes it can be done. How it's done depends on the platform. On unix it's quite simple. You need to do the following:

  1. shutdown database.
  2. ORACLE_SID=new_sid_name.
  3. in the $ORACLE_HOME/dbs directory, change the name of the init file from initOLDSID.ora to initNEWSID.ora.
  4. Modify the sid name in the inittab.ora (location varies depending on which unix).
  5. startup database.

If you have remote clients connecting through a listener, you'll need to modify the sid name in the listener.ora file on the server, and the tnsnames.ora files on the clients.

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_safeaccess.net

But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid; for I bring you tidings of great joy which shall be for all the people; for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Saviour, who is Christ the Lord." (NASB Luke 2:10-11)