Re: Automating NT Backup with archivelog on (hot)

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_wolfenet.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 20:09:12 -0800

On Sun, 13 Dec 1998, Peter Kellner wrote:

> Doesn't the net stop OracleServiceSID, etc, do the same as
> a "shutdown abort". If so, does that guarantee the database
> will be able to be started up again without database recovery?
> I thought that it did not. That the only guarantee was after doing
> a "shutdown immediate" or "shutdown".

Even if "net stop OracleServiceSID" does shutdown abort (crash) the database, you still have everything you need to start up in the online redologs. So if you have those, you won't have any trouble using a cold backup taken under such circumstances.

> On Thu, 10 Dec 1998 10:27:10 GMT, sun_haibo_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> >AT command can set up schedule jobs to run a batch. In batch file, following
> >commands are added for HOT incremental backup
> >OCOPY73 db_file(archive log files,control file and redo log files) new_file

Hot backups are not incremental in Oracle7. In Oracle8, you can use RMAN to make true incremental backups.

Also, I am fairly sure that OCOPY73 alone won't do a hot backup for you. Just copying the files alone won't give you valid datafiles! In Oracle7, hot backups require that you put each tablespace into backup mode for the duration of the file copy, and take it out when you are done. It also requires fairly careful management of the redologs, so that you force archival of the current online redolog when you are done, and so that you have every redolog generated during the backup, and over the course of all your backups, all the redologs generated by the database.

> >For COLD full backup, add
> >net stop OracleTNSListener
> >net stop OracleStartSID
> >net stop OracleServiceSID
> >copy all database files to ...
> >net start OracleServiceSID
> >net start OracleStartSID
> >net start OracleTNSListener

You don't have to stop the listener(s). What if your listener also provides service to another database? You just put them both out of commission.

--
Jeremiah Wilton http://www.wolfenet.com/~jeremiah Received on Sun Dec 13 1998 - 22:09:12 CST