oracle webserver 3 question

From: Andrew Mullen <andrew.mullen_at_ap.effem.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 09:21:32 +1100

Dear All,.

I am having a problem with webserver application that I'm hoping someone from this newsgroup knows something about.

I have a fairly simple reporting application that I have developed (pl/sql), that will be used by anywhere from 5 to 50 users. I don't want the users to have to enter a userid/password to start the application, and each user needs to be distinctly identifyable in v$session table.

So,. obviously I can't stored the username/password in the DAD (because of the non-distinct connections). I have an ugly solution at the moment where an activeX program on the server is first called when the application is started. This retrieves the LAN userid, manipulates it into a password, then forms the call to the application
(http://username:password@machine:port/dad/plsql/application). But the username and password is visible in the address bar...

This works, but tends to become unstable. When I test the application with multiple users, I get connection timeouts, pages not loading. If I stop and refresh a page during a load I can start ending up with multiple connections to the database, some of which remain active for a fair while before droping out. However, if I start the application by going through the dialog box where you enter a userid/password, I don't get these problems.

Oracle tech support were aware of other ways of doing distinct user connections to applications where the user doesn't have to manually log on to the application, but they didn't know how this was done. If anyone has any ideas on how I can get around this connection issue I would be truly grateful if they would share their knowledge with me.

Thanks in Advance,

Ben Engel
ben.engel_at_ap.effem.com Received on Sun Dec 13 1998 - 16:21:32 CST