Re: Trailing Spaces on VARCHAR2 Data

From: Dave <david.swanson_at_sprintranet.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 03:50:04 GMT

On Fri, 11 Dec 1998 17:25:27 -0500, Gene Hubert <110530.717_at_CompuServe.COM> wrote:

>I'm running Oracle 8.0.3 on NT 4.0.
>

>I occasionally run across data in varchar2 columns that has
>trailing spaces. Comparisons on this data will fail without an
>rtrim or adding the right number of spaces to what is being
>compared. Can anyone explain how varchar2 data ends up with
>trailing spaces? I thouhgt this was not possbile.
>

>Gene Hubert
>Qualex Inc.
>Durham, NC

If you explicitly put the spaces in your insert statement, they will end up in the string... example:

SQL> create table temp (vvv varchar2(30));

Table created.

SQL> insert into temp values ('asdf ');

1 row created.

SQL> select '*'||vvv||'*' from temp;

*asdf *

If you don't want the data to end up in the database this way, you could create a trigger to automatically ltrim and rtrim... Received on Sat Dec 12 1998 - 21:50:04 CST