Re: HELP! Need ammo against Oracle on NT!!

From: Leonard F. Clark <leonard_at_lf-clark.prestel.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 18:10:01 GMT

I can't point you to any papers that answer your concerns: I guess Oracle is more concerned to say how much better than SQL Server Oracle is on Nt than how much weaker it is than on bigger platforms.

I've been scanning the literature for a while now and, if it's there, I've missed it. I *have* implemented a couple of NT systems, though, and can tell you a little of our experiences.

The most recent is Oracle 7.3.4 on a Compaq with 4 x PII (not sure what speed - not massive). The main table is 6.5 Gb, sized for 13 Gb; the rest probably add another Gig or two.

Subjective response is that it does seem considerably slower than Unix (I've used HPUK and AIX mainly). Obviously, you could work around this to some extent - including using parallel server - but the problems aren't only raw speed.

What are my main concerns?

  1. (As you imply) NT resilience. It's probably better than you imply, but still not as good as UNIX. On a previous system (with NT 3.51) we had a lot of problems with memory leakage and the system would hang at least once a week. We haven't had that with the current system (NT4) but the system fluctuates greatly in performance - which appears often as poor response from Oracle. (We are running on Citrix Winframe so I don't know how much the problem is native NT and how much Citrix.) That brings me to the second problem.
  2. Poorly thought out support infrastructure

Because NT is a PC-thing, it's usually supported by some PC/LAN team rather than the system admin/ network boys. I've found they simply do not have the expertise to manage the kind of infrastructure Oracle needs. (For example, our Sys Adm - who is a very willing guy - was bowled over by the idea of my automating shutdown/startups. They were already taking system backups using ArcServe and had no idea that this was problematic for Oracle. We are now scheduling our mini-batch from Dr Solomon's Virus Checker!!!!) I've also found that the level of NT expertise is generally quite low: again, where I am currently is really a Novell shop so they are still learning NT and surrounding tools.

3. Poorly defined technical infrastructure.

The biggest beef is no simply equivalent to shell scripts. Do you use Rexx (ex-mainframers' answer), Perl (some ex-UNIXers' answer), C (developers' answer), one of the scripting tools that are out there or something like GNU tools for PC? Any would do but getting a decision oin a standard approach is nigh on impossible. So I'm developing tools in C (e.g. to clear down directories of files more than x days old - a sinch using find on UNIX) and only a handful of people have the expertise to support it.

4. Ill defined requirements/design - the killer for me.

My guess is that the vast majority of Oracle systems on NT are apps that were originally designed for Access or some similar tool and they have either grown beyond the capacity of the tool or there is a realisation that more sophisticated security is required. The Access/VB front end is left in place and connection is made via ODBC. Whatever the performance is like on NT Oracle, it's worse through ODBC. Then Access seems to make 5 queries of the database for every one actual query. It works differently and the code needs to be differently designed. (Our designers are struggling valiantly with pass-through queries but they don't understand SQL and keep falling back on the known Access methods.) The ODBC is always Microsoft's or Oracle's, which are pretty flakey at the best of times and provide a weak link for the sake of saving a few hundred quid on a decent flavour.

Don't get me wrong, like you I think it's horses for courses and NT Oracle is probably a super solution for small data marts that are accessed by a handful of people, maybe with something like Business Objects on the box too. But I hope you can pursuade your people not to use it for more than a few Gbytes.

Len