Re: Changing Oracle SID

From: <abalbekov_at_usa.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 20:07:19 GMT

In article <74m8gk$a41$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   kromerm_at_comcell.com wrote:
> Is it possible to change the Oracle Server SID
> after installation? What I would like to do is
> to have two separate applications that use the
> SAME Oracle server to access their own individual
> Oracle instance.
>
> Any ideas on how this can be done??
>
> Thanks!

Probably what you want to do is to have ONE Oracle server software, TWO instances and TWO databases. There is one-to-one relationship between instances and databases (except for Parallel Server configuration - but that is a different story). Each application will connect to it's own instance.

Regarding your question, you should be able to change the SID (just set ORACLE_SID environment variable, go to svrmgrl and start database with right pfile). SID is not recorded inside the database. It's on OS level.

Albert

--
Albert Balbekov, Senior Consultant
GRT Inc.