Designer 2000 rel.2.1 to generate Web Applications

From: Carlo Sarasini <csarasin_at_estec.esa.nl>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 17:03:18 +0100

We are using Oracle 7.3 and Oracle Web Application Server 3.0, and we have some web applications (PLSQL, Javascript,HTML) already working for months without problems.
We are now developing two applications with Designer 2000 rel.2.1 One is a small application based on few tables and it is working fine. The other is more complex and involves almost 200 tables. The application is correctly generated and loaded and it can be used for any web browser (netscape 4.x or IE) but after some time (eg. 10-15 min or 30-40 transactions/operations) it raises the following error:

OWS-05101: Execution failed due to Oracle error 2005 ORA-02005: implicit (-1) length not valid for this bind or define datatype

The error is unpredictable and it may happen also after having performed the same actions repetively (I load one record on the the screen, then another one, then a detail and then back to the first record and so on). This makes me think that it is something not related to my specific application, but something related to the web server. In fact, when the error occurs, on the server (UNIX) a process is killed and a dump is created, which is very strange (other apps use the same server and don't have any problem).

The very strange fact is that, once it happens, then all subsequent calls fail (even for procedures that worked fine in the past) until you exit and restart Netscape (or IE)!!!
Is Des. 2000 generating apps. with errors? Why they are so unpredictable? Perhaps some buffer on the server gets full ....

Anybody can give us a hint?

Thanks a lot Received on Fri Dec 11 1998 - 10:03:18 CST