Re: Automating NT Backup with archivelog on (hot)

From: <nasof_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 15:14:32 GMT

In article <Pine.OSF.3.95.981210102642.17965B-100000_at_gonzo.wolfenet.com>,   Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah_at_wolfenet.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Peter Kellner wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to automate backing up an NT server running oracle 7.3.
> > Right now, it is a big pain because of all the manual steps. I want
> > to have one script that does an incremental with the system HOT,
> > and another script that shuts the database down, does a full backup,
> > then starts it again.
> >
> > Any ideas or places I can find such a thing. I want to make sure that
> > error status are checked for things like deleting transaction logs.
>
> Hot backups in Oracle7 are not "incremental." They are complete backups of
> whatever files you copy in the process of the hot backup. If you copy all
> the files, it is a complete backup. Therefore, there is no real reason to
> take a cold backup, unless you don't trust your hot backup scheme.
>
> I don't know any Scripts for NT that are in the pulic domain, but I bet
> someone has one. Searching around the web might turn something up. There
> are many commercial products available as well. Oracle provides a backup
> and recovery solutution with 7.3 called Enterprise Backup Utility (EBU),
> which must be used with a storage manager, such as Legato or Veritas. More
> information on this strategy is available at Oracle's Backup Solutions
> Partners page:
>
> http://www.oracle.com/st/products/features/backupsp.html
>
> --
> Jeremiah Wilton http://www.wolfenet.com/~jeremiah

Actually, if you connect to metalink and check under SERVERS->Oracle Server Enterprise Edition->Microsoft You will find some documents under the Technical Bulletins (look under WINDOWS NT heading. There are several there that give full COLD/HOT backup scripts and how to schedule them in NT.

Here's one of the documents (sorry cut/paste doesnt work to well from HTML to the text box im typing in.)

-Frank

Document ID:	  11816480.61Title:		  NT: Scheduled Backups on
Windows NT Creation Date:      3-Feb-97Last Revision Date:  3-Feb-97Revision
Number:  0 Product Version:  7.2x, 7.3xPlatform:	  Windows NT versions
3.51, 4.0 Information Type:  SolutionImpact:	    Medium Abstract:
This is a tutorial which explains how to create command 		files
to backup an Oracle database, and how to schedule	  the events.