Running Pro*C applications as CGI scripts...

From: Ben Parrish <bparrish_at_remove.rvi.net>
Date: 1998/12/10

I'm trying to run some CGI scripts built with the Pro*C Oracle precompiler, and I've run into two problems, one minor, one not quite so minor, and I'm hoping someone can help me out...

For the record, the platform is Solaris 7/Oracle 8/Apache 1.3.3...

Problem 1: If the programs are compiled with shared libraries, they fail, since at the time Apache fires off the script, no "LD_LIBRARY_PATH" is set to anything.

Problem 2: The script works fine from a command line, but when run as a CGI script, it fails at the point it tries to connect to the server. The rather suspect error message I get is:

"Oracle error. Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12545 in
"..." on line 30 of wtest.pc. "

Line 30 is the "EXEC SQL CONNECT :user IDENTIFIED BY :password;" line. 12545 is defined in the documentation as "Connect failed because target host or object does not exist"...

So, anyone know how I can take care of these problems? The immediate workaround to #1 was to compile things statically, but I'm hoping to avoid that if all possible. I haven't found a workaround to #2, and the hour is late and I'm getting scared.

Thanks for any help. Received on Thu Dec 10 1998 - 00:00:00 CST