Re: Optimal RAID configurations for relational databases

From: Art S. Kagel <kagel_at_bloomberg.net>
Date: 1998/12/10

Malcolm Blackhall wrote:

[SNIP]
> Personnally, I would try to get another drive and configure the six drives as
> three RAID 1 devices. You get a little less storage and pay a little more, but
> get some peace of mind for it.

Let me just add that if you can stripe (RAID 0) the three mirrored pairs (RAID 1) you will achieve what is known commonly as a RAID 10 array (not an official designation) which will give you the throughput advantages of RAID5 for reads (actually better) with no write penalty and full redundancy. In addition you will be protected from partial media failure (ie a flaky sector) for which RAID5 gives no protection. Also by placing one drive from each mirror on each controller channel you gain the channel independence that Malcolm suggests.

Art S. Kagel Received on Thu Dec 10 1998 - 00:00:00 CST