strange DBMS_OUTPUT behaviour - any ideas?

From: Babette Turner-Underwood <babettet_at_you.cant.spam.me>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 19:20:03 GMT

A developer came to me this morning with a DBMS_OUTPUT problem. She was trying to develop a function and was using DBMS_OUTPUT to debug the work and although the SQL statement results showed up, nothing was showing up for the DBMS_OUTPUT statements in her SQL*Plus session when she ran:

     select function_name from dual;

and YES, she had typed "set serveroutput on". I then tried to do the same. Strangely, when I converted the function to a procedure (and removed the "return" clauses), it worked perfectly. All DBMS_OUTPUT statements showed a result.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this happens??

Babette Turner-Underwood, TMI Communications babettet_at_tmi.ca.NOSPAM (remove appropriate part to e-mail me) Received on Thu Dec 10 1998 - 13:20:03 CST